We want to be as helpful as possible during this Coronavirus crisis, so we thought a page with useful information all in one place would be a good idea.
Wandsworth Foodbank provides emergency food and support to people locked in poverty. Our foodbank works using a voucher referral system. Find out more about through our website about the process of how we’re working during this Coronavirus time.
If you’re a referral agency and need to refer someone in financial crisis, please email a completed voucher and the person’s best contact number to [email protected]
If you’re a Wandsworth Resident:
Wandsworth Council have set up a Community Hub with a helpline as a first response for residents, particularly those elderly and/or vulnerable without support networks, who need support to access medical/care services and food supplies. This is to help those most in need stay safe and well while they self-isolate at home.
- Tel: 0208 871 6555
- Website: https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/public-health/coronavirus/community-hub/
Please do read our previous blog about how we (Wandsworth Foodbank) are now doing home deliveries and where you can find financial help within Wandsworth.
- Free School Meals replacement
Eligible families could contact their school or try Wandsworth Council’s new helpline (0208 871 6555) if they haven’t yet received anything.
- Wandsworth Council’s Discretionary Social Fund for crisis grant
People in financial crisis who can’t afford to buy food can apply to the Council’s crisis fund, for Sainsbury’s food vouchers and help with pre-payment gas and electricity. Applications need to be made online, and agencies and support workers can support people to apply. https://wandsworth-gwa.egovhub.net/Gwa/launch
If you’re from a surrounding borough
Here are the specific Covid-19 helplines you can call for help:
- Lambeth Council Covid-19 helpline:
Tel: 020 7926 2999 (8am to 8pm everyday)
- Hammersmith & Fulham Council:
Tel: 0800 145 6095 (9am to 7pm) Email: [email protected]
- Merton Council Covid-19 helpline:
Tel: 020 8685 2272
- Kingston upon Thames Council Covid-19 helpline:
Tel: 020 8547 5000 Email: [email protected]
- Richmond upon Thames Council Covid-19 helpline:
Tel: 0208 871 6555 Email: [email protected]
- Kensington & Chelsea Council Covid-19 helpline:
Tel: 020 7361 4326 Email: [email protected]
For any individual or family in financial crisis:
You can use the free online benefits and grants checker at Turn2Us charity: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ to see what other funds may be available to you to help.
Other places to get food:
- Foodcycle They are trialling the delivery of free food parcels in London (Norwood Junction, Finsbury Park and Kilburn). But have recently opened a hub in Tooting – email Kemi Akinola at [email protected]. Or fill in the online form: https://volunteer.foodcycle.org.uk/referral
- Check out if there is a Community Fridge open at this time near you: https://www.hubbub.org.uk/the-community-fridge (The Base, Digby College, Roehampton, SW15 5NY, Brixton 020 3879 8410, Camberwell 020 7737 6186, Catford 020 8695 6264)
- Use the Olio App to see who is giving away food. The App connects neighbours with each other to share food (and other things) rather than chuck them away.
If you’d like to give help:
Please consider giving online, either money or food via Bankuet. This is the safest and most efficient way at the moment, and you’ll be helping provide for local people in greatest need. Thank you from all at Wandsworth Foodbank.