Get help

Other emergency financial help

If you live in Wandsworth, you may be eligible for extra emergency financial help

Wandsworth residents on low incomes who can’t afford essential costs like rent, council tax, food and energy costs, can apply for support grants from Wandsworth Council. You can also apply if you’ve been housed by Wandsworth Council in temporary housing in another borough.

These are grants not loans, so you won’t need to pay them back.

Crisis grants for food, gas and electricity

You can apply for a crisis grant from Wandsworth Council, up to 3 times in 12 months. These are supermarket vouchers (approx £30 per person in your household), and gas and electricity vouchers for pre-payment meters only (£10 or £20 on each, depending on family size).

For help to apply for a crisis grant online, you can phone Citizens Advice Wandsworth helpline on 020 4529 0674 (10am-12pm weekdays, until 30 June 2022, when the phone line is due to close).

Discretionary housing payment

You can apply for a discretionary housing payments (DHP) if you’re receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (including a housing element), and need extra help with housing costs because your benefit doesn’t cover your full rent. This can include covering a shortfall for bedroom tax, if you’re waiting to downsize or willing to consider downsizing.

Community care grant

You can apply for a community care grant for essential white goods (eg cooker, fridge with a small freezer compartment) and essential furniture like beds or a table and chairs, if you’re experiencing hardship and are in receipt of qualifying benefits. We understand that in exceptional circumstances (for instance if you’re a carer for a disabled family member), the Council will consider a grant for a washing machine.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is to help people who are on a low income to pay part or all of their council tax. We meet many people who are eligible but don’t know about Council Tax Reduction. You can find out more about who is eligible or make a Council Tax Reduction claim on Wandsworth Council’s website. If you can’t access the online form, you can call 020 8871 8081 for assistance.

Other sources of help include:

Free online benefits checker

It’s estimated that more than seven million UK households could be missing out on benefits. You can check you’re receiving all the benefits that you’re entitled to, using a free online benefits calculator like Turn2Us or Entitled To.

NHS Healthy Start scheme for families with young children

If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk from NHS Healthy Start. If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. Your money will be added onto this card every 4 weeks.

You can apply by emailing [email protected] or phoning 0300 330 7010. Find out more here.

Back to Get help